FIT FRIDAY: My Fit Journey
A year ago I started a 60 Day Challenge at Afterburn and it changed my life. And now I just started my third 60-day challenge. I’m about a week in! What a difference it is to start this one vs. a year ago. Last time, I was so nervous. For the first few weeks I kept thinking, “what the heck am I doing.” Boy, did it end up being the best decision I’ve ever made. Obviously, it’s not too bad if I am doing it again, right?! I want to share a few things I learned in hope to inspire anyone going through this or thinking about it.
- Nothing is impossible when it comes to your health. I took my percent body fat to 14.1%. I never thought I could do that. I felt so strong!
- I learned abs are super hard to achieve and they go really fast if you don’t eat REALLY healthy like 24/7. I HAD abs for a little while! HA!
- Running a half marathon during a 60 day challenge makes you a little crazy, so plan well with the carbs or you may pass out. HA!
- I learned I’m super determined when motivated. I remember vividly one time during my second challenge I was super sick, Ivan ended up working late and it was a day I had to cook/chop a few things to get us through the week. I literally could have laid down after I put the girls to bed. However, I didn’t want to not be unprepared, so I cooked and chopped terribly sick. I knew at that point something in me changed.
- If mom eats better the entire family does. It’s just true, or at least in my house hold. Everyone benefits!
- I learned that it is so easy to creep back to your old ways and get comfortable. Around the holidays I stopped the meal prepping and enjoyed whatever I wanted. Well, of course I paid for it on the scaled last Saturday night when I weighted in for this challenge.
- It’s not about the numbers. You definitely need to know them to succeed, but do not go crazy over them. It was a big lesson for me to not get caught up. Although, I weigh more now than I would like, I am so much stronger than I have ever been. I’m definitely more fit!
- You just need a system in place to get you started. Commit to something that scares you, find a community to support you and love the workouts you are doing. I learned I would not fail on these challenges because of the support and how I fell in love with my workouts. It’s been over a year and I’m addicted to this place.
- My biggest motivator is my children. I want them to see us (Ivan is doing this with me too) be healthy. I want them to easily make the choice to live a healthier lifestyle as they grow up. My wish for them is that they always choose to be strong and that making healthy food choices comes natural for them because it’s what they know.
- When I’m feeling good and have me time, I’m a better mom, wife, friend, sister etc. WE ALL NEED to do something for ourselves that makes us feel good and recharges us. It’s not selfish it’s taking care of you to take care of others.
It’s not easy for me to share that picture above from January 2016, but I’m sharing it because I want to help anyone who may feel intimated by workouts and meal plans. It’s very possible to do it, but you have to find your WHY. Believe me, I fought it all I could, but I was done feeling uncomfortable. However, a year later I can say it’s only changed me for the better and I am happier with myself than I have ever been.
If you want to see my before and after pictures from my first challenge click here.
Second Challenge. I only have a before gym challenge picture, because we weighted in early to leave to Mexico for my BFF’s wedding. Technically I did a 53 day challenge, ha! But here are my after pictures in Mexico. 🙂
Ps. Ivan has joined me once again and he did so great on the last challenge. I love working out with him . #teammarried